Wed 5 Aug 2009
From a recent presentation by Fast Forward (ad-hoc study group)
FastForwardis an ad-hoc study group consisting of major aerospace
contractors, emerging new space companies, spaceports, key federal government
agencies, and academic representatives
– All-volunteer effort formed in October 2008
– 20 organizations represented (by invitation)
– Hosted by SpaceWorks Commercial (Atlanta, GA USA)
• Our focus is on pre-competitive analysis and assessment of future global high
speed point-to-point passenger and cargo services .
• Our group produces technical papers and white papers on topics of PTP
transportation for use by our members and the community at-large .
• Members meet regularly by telecon, supports a range of conference and panels,
and use virtual collaboration tools to conduct business and exchange ideas .
Our focus is on pre-competitive analysis and assessment of future
global high-speed point-to-point passenger and cargo services.
1. Market assessment and characterization of future high speed point-to-
point service for passengers and cargo, including economic drivers
2. Identification of key regulatory and policy issues
3. Evaluation of candidate flight vehicle options and technology needs
4. Identification of challenges for emerging Aerospaceports in the U.S. and
5. Identification of synergies with ongoing government investments in
advanced flight programs
Primary Study Goals
Our goal is to better define the suborbital market and explore preferred options
for providing services(in a generic way –i.e. flight frequencies, market size and
price elasticity, preferred takeoff and landing destinations, required cargo
capacity per flight, special handling requirements/limits)
This type of information is a necessary pre-competitive part of everyone’s future
Collaborative subgroups of members are performing preliminary technical and
economic analyses that will benefit all members.
All members contribute reference documents, background material, and knowledge that
is openly shared with the rest of the study group.
Outside experts and guest speakers provide information to all group members (e.g.
shippers, regulatory officials, etc.).
Participation includes access to the study’s collaborative web site, email
discussions, telecons, in-person meetings, etc.,
Google group (for discussion and file sharing, access by invitation only):
Teleconference: hour long, every one to two months (hosted by SpaceWorks
- Semi-annual face-to-face team meetings
- 04 February 2009: Washington, D.C. (half-day workshop)
- 20 October 2009: Las Cruces, NM (half-day workshop)